3 suspects in court over murder of Nigerian e-hailing driver in South Africa

The three suspects involved in the brutal murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver in South Africa appeared before a Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
The trio – Dikeledi Tears Phela, Gositsiane Machidi and McClaren Mushwana – are facing charges of murder and carjacking in connection with the fatal attack on 22-year-old Nigerian national and Bolt driver, Isaac David Satlat.
The accused persons will remain in custody pending the next hearing next Monday.
Authorities disclosed that the two male suspects are being detained at the SAPS Pretoria North Police Station, while the female suspect, Phela, is being held at the Kgosi Mampuru Correctional Centre.
Satlat’s killing has sparked outrage among migrant communities and fellow e-hailing operators across South Africa.
Speaking on the outcome of Monday’s proceedings, National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Mumka Mahanja confirmed that the accused persons abandoned their bail application during the court session.
In a video posted online by MDN News, Mahanja said the suspects, aged between 25 and 30, are facing charges of premeditated murder alongside additional offences linked to aggravating circumstances.
“So, three accused persons appeared before the court this morning,” she said. “They are facing the charge of premeditated murder and related offences. In court, they opted to abandon their bail application and the matter was postponed to the 23rd of February for further investigations.”
The brief appearance lasted only a short period, as prosecutors requested more time to finalise outstanding investigative processes while police continued searching for additional suspects believed to be connected to the crime.
Satlat, 22, was allegedly lured to his death after accepting a ride request in Pretoria West while working as an e-hailing driver.
A viral disturbing video captured how he was strangled during the attack before his vehicle was hijacked by the assailants. His body and the stolen car were later recovered in Atteridgeville on the same day, deepening fears over growing insecurity facing ride-hailing drivers in South Africa.
Police subsequently arrested multiple suspects as part of an expanding investigation, while a manhunt remains ongoing for at least one more individual believed to have played a role in the killing.
The murder has renewed concerns about the vulnerability of e-hailing drivers, many of whom say criminals increasingly exploit ride-hailing platforms to anonymously request trips and ambush drivers.
Industry stakeholders have repeatedly warned that weak identity verification systems and economic pressures have made drivers easy targets for violent crimes.
Meanwhile, Satlat’s grieving family continues to struggle with the financial burden of repatriating his remains to Nigeria for burial.
Family members have also described the deceased as a peaceful and hard-working young man who travelled abroad in search of better opportunities and was studying mobile engineering, with graduation reportedly only weeks away before his life was cut short.
“We need funds to take him back home so that he can be laid to rest in his hometown,” a family representative had earlier appealed.(www.amatropics.com)








Discussion about this post